Chemistry Advocates, welcome to our November Newsletter!
This month, we celebrated #NationalChemistryWeek with our favorite chemistry facts, and #STEMDay by writing about the Future of STEM Scholars Initiative. Follow us on Twitter below to stay up to date on the latest.
ACC Autumn in Action..
In October and early November, we’ve had the pleasure of meeting virtually and in-person with several different representatives.
- Braskem had a visit from Rep. Carol Miller
- Koppers was visited by Rep. Jack Bergman
- BASF did a virtual tour with Rep. Peter Meijer
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company was visited by Rep. Randy Weber
- FMC Corporation was visited by NY State Sen. Rob Ortt
- LANXESS was joined for a tour by CT State Reps. Rosa Rebimbas and David Labriola
- Sealed Air did a tour with CA Assemblymember Calderon
- Braven Environmental had a virtual tour with CO State Legislators
- Huntsman was visited by NH Gov. Chris Sununu
- Lubrizol had a tour with Rep. Virginia Foxx
Pictured here: Rep. Randy Weber visited 1,000+ workers at Chevron Phillips Chemical Company in Sweeny, Texas. They produce 2.2 billion pounds of polyethylene annually that is used in everyday items from piping to candy wrappers.
DOW collaborated with Meijer to enable a new paving technique to create a more durable parking lot for the retailer’s Holland, Mich. supercenter using 944,000 plastic grocery bags, or 12,500 pounds of post-consumer recycled plastic (PCR). This project brings recycled plastic bags full circle, and also represents a long-term collaboration between two Michigan companies that are working toward a more sustainable future, and committed to a circular economy.
During National Scholarship month, share the application for the Future of STEM Scholars Initiative with a high school student!
FOSSI is a national chemical industry-wide scholarship program which provides students $40,000 scholarships and connects them to leadership development, mentoring and internship opportunities at sponsoring companies. To date, FOSSI has raised more than $11 million and sponsored 151 scholarships.
“Building a Sustainable Transportation Future” – Axios hosted a virtual event to discuss the shift to cleaner transportation and manufacturing, and to explore the policies, technologies, and materials spearheading electric vehicle (EV) deployment for a new mobility future.
- Plastics have enabled the auto industry to reduce its carbon footprint by light-weighting vehicles so they are more fuel efficient.
- Plastics now typically make up 50% of the volume of a car yet only 10% of its weight.
Additionally, plastics make up essential components of EV batteries and enable multiple critical automotive safety features.
Connect with Chemistry
- EPA’s National Recycling Strategy Sets Stage for Recycling Transformation
- Weekly Chemistry and Economic Trends (November 12, 2021)
- America Needs Modern Regulations for Modern Technologies
- Axios Discussion on Electric Vehicles Highlights Role of Plastics in Automobile Sustainability and Safety
- Silicones Help Drive Us Towards the Future
- ACC Releases September 2021 Resin Production And Sales Statistics